This salad is one of my family’s favourites. And it keeps well for days.
For 6-8 people
- 1/2 of a medium sized organic red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-3 small raw organic beetroots, peeled and finely grated (I use one of the larger sides of a cheese grater)
- 2-3 small organic carrots, finely grated
- the rind (zest) of 2 Moroccan lemons (citron beldi) or clementines (keep the fruit for the sauce)
- walnuts or pecans (raw or roasted slowly in the oven first)
- dried cranberries or bilberries/blueberries (avoid the ones with added sugar) – you may also use sliced fresh organic Granny apples or organic clementines segments instead
For the sauce
- 7-10 tbsp organic extra-virgin olive or avocado oil (adjusted to taste)
- juice of the above lemons or clementines (adjusted to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- small bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
Place the grated and chopped cabbage, carrots and beetroot in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients for the sauce together and pour over the cabbage mixture. Mix well again, then stir in the walnuts/pecans, cranberries or bilberries/blueberries and coriander leaves just before serving. Et voila – a festive, colourful and delicious veggie recipe!