What I love about this “Get Your Greens Frittata” recipe is that it can be eaten for any meal of the day including breakfast. And you can make it the night before since it is even better cold. It’s a versatile recipe that can be made with any combination of fresh herbs and seasonal greens – and the greener you make it the better!
For about 10 portions
8 organic eggs
1 medium courgette, sliced into half moon
8 asparagus spears (cleaned and rid of hard end), sliced into 1cm rounds
1 large bunch of fresh nettles, washed in boiled water to take out the sting and chopped up (if nettles are not available you can use dandelion greens, spinach or other spring greens, large stalks removed and chopped)
1/2 medium fennel bulb, sliced thinly
1 small bunch of coriander or parsley, chopped small
1 handful of fresh tarragon, chopped roughly (if available)
1 small bunch of basil, chopped
1 bunch of chives or 4-5 scallions
1 small bunch of fresh wild garlic leaves or 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1/3 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
sea salt and ground pepper
- You will need a deep-dish cast iron oven-friendly skillet
- Preheat oven to 170-180 C
- In a large bowl, crack eggs and whisk well. Add all the remaining ingredients, mixing and seasoning well.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over moderate heat (do not let it smoke). Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly. Cook on moderate heat covering with a pan cover until the eggs start to set around the edges of the skillet, about 2 minutes.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the eggs are completely set, about 5-10 minutes. To test, insert a knife and ensure it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- When cool, remove from skillet and slice into wedges.